Thursday, May 27, 2010

Step on a Crack

Step on a Crack
by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge

Finished May 26
4 stars

Now I've been told to read Patterson many, many times - I didn't pick up my first Patterson book until the start of this year. I've since read several more and, let me just tell you - I see many Patterson books coming up in my future. I am hooked and in love.

Yes, they are semi-predictable (although some things did surprise me!). But seriously, I LOVED this book! I was so hooked on the story and just couldn't put the book down until I got to the end. I NEEDED to see how it all worked out. And I just fell completely in love with the Bennet Family.

Detective Michael Bennett is married to an angel, an adoptive father to ten kids, and a part of the NYPD. It is near Christmas - Bennett's wife is dying from cancer. Bennett is very focused on this and even though the rest of the country is mourning the death of the former first lady, Bennett is quite wrapped in his own family drama. That is until during the former's first ladies funeral is seized by some very (in my opinion) crazy men. They let most of the people attending the funeral go and hold on to only the most famous and important.

Bennett is called in as a hostage negotiator - and must help the NYPD through all of this. At the same time, he needs to juggle his 10 children, deal with the realization that his wife will soon be passing on, and somehow get through Christmas.

And through intertwining both these stories Patterson and Ledwidge do something not many people can pull off - an action, page turning, thrilling novel mixed with a heart-breaking, tear-jerking, heart-warming story! I wanted to simultaneously go and kick the bad guy's teeth in, while fighting tears for the family drama going on. I am hooked. And in love with Michael Bennett and his family. I will definitely be picking up more books that feature Bennett in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a message! =)