Wednesday, April 29, 2015

The Needlepoint Book

Let me just start by saying that I was blown away by this book - whether you are new to needlepoint or have been doing it and just want a reference book on hand, this is the book for you. I have never read the original version of this book, but quickly appreciate the fact that they have updated this book. I imagine even in it's original state, it was a well-rounded needlepoint book!

I won't lie ... I was expecting a book with a few pages on how to get things ready, and then a list of stitches. But this book is so much more!

The first half talks about the materials you need, the type of canvas you can stretch in, the type of yarn to use, design elements, etc, etc. The list goes on and on. Each section is pretty comprehensive as well.

I especially enjoyed the section on design - what to look for a good pattern (or how to design your own). I loved the section on color theory as well. As someone who has stitched before and not needing a primer on the basics, these sections that provided more deeper knowledge for someone like me were quite welcomed. And yet, the information was presented in such a way that it isn't overwhelming for a someone new to stitching.

The second part of the book is a comprehensive stitch encyclopedia. The stitches are separated out by type: straight, diagonal, box, cross, etc. With pictures and word explanations to go along with each one.

This is definitely a book I would want to add to add to my library! And I think any stitcher of any level would appreciate having it too. Whether you need to turn to it to see how to get started and work on basic stitches, or you're an experience stitcher who needs to look up that one complicated stitch you know you've done once before but can't quite remember this is a must have book in craft book collection!

Note: I was given an e-copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for reviewing it. As always, however, all thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a message! =)